Friday, September 26, 2008

Did I really witness this?


I was at a deli/sub place tonight eating soup and my sub for dinner. Remember all my fine food choices and you'll know why I was there. Anyway, while I was eating another person came in with her sons and ordered dinner and was about to pay for it. I was sitting nearby and overheard her conversation with the cashier. Apparently her debit card wasn't working.

**** NEWS FLASH **** It was NOT a debit card but her regular ATM card. The poor guy had to explain why her card would not work. She then went one driveway over to the Walgreen's ATM and came back with cash.

So now I'm left to wonder. Who, by now, doesn't know that ATM cards and debit cards are completely different animals? Was this woman, who appeared to be 35, at most, seriously not exposed to this kind of payment device ever in her life? Was it simply stupidity on her part? Would someone in a large city like Chicago EVER have this kind of conversation?

I left there tonight wondering if she represents the "typical" Jolietan. I hope not.

PS If any Jolietans read this blog, please tell me if I'm missing something here.

3 comments:

Lissa said...

I know many people in Joliet and I swear.. something is in the water out there.

dumb as f***

Jonathan said...

What kind of hick bank did this woman have that her ATM card isn't a debit card? is it still 1988??

Bee said...

It was Chase. I saw the card. No hick bank at all. So one is left to assume of of 2 situations. 1) She said "No" when they asked her if she wanted a debit card. 2) Her credit was bad enough they denied her a debit card. Either way, the bank was not the hick.